Auctioning a lot of stolen goods.

Special Library of Legendary Threads

Postby Whiplash315 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:36 pm

Too funny...I just wanted to see what replies I'd get on the gweth when I asked about this auction.

[Ianhanse] "So I heard there is supposed to be some big auction soon...anyone know what day and when?"
[Asperity] "I think Martyka is auctioning a bunch of stolen goods tomorrow night."
[Tanarquick] "any trader avail to sell pouches"
[Silverklaw] "the aution tomorrow is going to consist of various items stolen from people holding rummage sales. just so everyone knows. make yer own decisions based on that info."
[Ianhanse] "Sounds fun..."
[Fnordia] "is there any proof of that?"
[Asperity] "Well, yes. They admit it's stolen. Anyway, the list didn't look that great."
[Fnordia] "Well, as long as they admit it."
[Hnot] "stolen stuff is often cheaper"
[Fnordia] "Cheap as free, in fact."
[Silverklaw] "well, the method of the theft has been argued by some to be an abuse of sorts. personally, i think thats a rather low thing to do to someone, but like i said, draw your own conclusions"
[Martyka] "dont forget that half of the proceeds go to the orphanage fund, a noble charity."
[Indaara] "If you are looking for cheap come check out Indaara's Imporium in the SE corner of the Market"
[Paeldroth] "What it is is people are making an example of those who drop something. I understand the concept but there's no reason to take advantage of a planning flaw like that"
[Ianhanse] "I will support the orphans!!"
[Fnordia] "Orphans, eh? I thought the princess was building a fancy new Orphanarium?"
[Draycos] "Death to orphans!"
[Martyka] "she is building an orphanarium yes, but from proceeds raised by citizens of Zoluren."
[Silverklaw] "so the auction of stolen goods is justified to care for orphans? wow. just... wow"
[Fintrial] "No one said you -have- to attend."
[Styllian] "when is the auction?"
[Silverklaw] "i'm not going to. i'm just a bit surprised so many are."
[Martyka] "As much as everyone may want to hate Sebastienne, she doesnt HAVE to donate anything to the orphanage. She could easily keep all the profit."
[Fintrial] "Why not attend? Gain from other's stupidity. No offense Kyodan."
[Silverklaw] "fine. where do i donate? i'll be GLAD to do that"
[Paithon] "I think the thing that suprises me most is that you would be involved with something like that Martyka."
[Paeldroth] "You know, I'm surprised we have as many orphans in Crossing as we do. That urchin in TG should be at least 30 now"
10 June 2009 - The shadowling exclaims, "Bitee mee!"
Whiplash315
Smelly Cat Noob

Character Name: Goniss

Postby Reene on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:45 pm

I'll say once again that whoever wants to come can come but if you do, whether you're on "our" side or "theirs," please keep it IC.

That means no talking about consent, reporting, mech abuse, saying "lol" or anything like that. Even if you don't care about our requests there will very likely be GMs watching anyway, the sort that will get cross if people start being OOC.
* kystrk has joined #isleeptoomuch
<incarna> ladies only allow cocks in their asses, apparently
<kystrk> hell of a way to walk into the convo

<Meragin> dudes typically my foreskin is in the mouth not being stretch and played like a fucking kazoo
<Phii> lol typically nigga please
<Phii> You're here playing DR.
<Asrion> hes really flexible, ok?
Reene
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Caelumia

Postby repopularizequalude on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:53 pm

Reene wrote:I'll say once again that whoever wants to come can come but if you do, whether you're on "our" side or "theirs," please keep it IC.

That means no talking about consent, reporting, mech abuse, saying "lol" or anything like that. Even if you don't care about our requests there will very likely be GMs watching anyway, the sort that will get cross if people start being OOC.

As opposed to the kind that doesn't?
Death knows no bounds. He just doesn't like you.

Gonk's first law of "The Waffle Defense": Sometimes there just aren't enough waffles.
repopularizequalude
Smelly Cat High Level Cawk

Postby Pureblade on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:53 pm

since when is going to melee to take guarded items on the floor mech abuse.

that was intentional from the start.
Pureblade
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Pureblade

Postby Reene on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:59 pm

repopularizequalude wrote:
Reene wrote:I'll say once again that whoever wants to come can come but if you do, whether you're on "our" side or "theirs," please keep it IC.

As opposed to the kind that doesn't?

Well... yeah.

If you don't think GMs are stricter about this kind of thing about planned and organized events I don't know what to tell you.

Concerning mechanics abuse, I have no idea why people think bypassing guard by getting to melee is mechanics abuse. Guard was never intended to be a foolproof way of protecting your items, and there is the obvious balance of it being a risk to advance/sneak to melee on someone without them seeing you and either killing you, retreating or picking their crap up before you are close enough to.

The moral of the story of course is to never drop anything that you want to keep. No matter how "safe" you might feel doing so - hell even in safe rooms you can still advance on people.

<Meragin> dudes typically my foreskin is in the mouth not being stretch and played like a fucking kazoo
Reene
Smelly Cat Immortal

Postby fromwork on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:37 pm

And to be fair - People who are having "rummage sales" used to have it much worse. Even if the sellers were being smart: only dropping them for a few seconds, guarding them, then picking them back up - folks would bait them and stand around waiting for just the few seconds to snag them.

And this wasn't that long ago as I remember it quite vividly and have only been in game a few years.

However, I have NEVER seen Seb do this. She really only pick on the people who are standing around with their pack on the ground the entire time and think they should be "safe by just guarding it." Even though they have been warned a dozen times.

And actually - to point this out in RP terms - if you are not "properly licensed" (aka a member of the TRADER GUILD - since you can't go buy a license anywhere yet), you are unlawfully selling in the Mongers Bazaar. Even outside the tent - that property is owned by the Traders Guild. Not a general free for all hawking area. Sure - I allow people to sell next to me in the Tent if they want who aren't traders, but that doesn't mean I technically have the authority to allow this. Technically the GMs should be sending guards down to fine and imprison non-traders for dealing there.

All Seb and others are doing is helping to "Enforce" the rules. I mean - how do YOU know she hasn't been paid by some of the Traders to keep the competition off our turf?

This is why I don't say much when people get packs stolen. Because, technically, they are being more IC and RPish about the laws than those selling on what is "Trader Turf."

*edited to add*

And this is why there are places like DRSales and The Elanthian Marketplace/Directory. Non-Traders have a SAFE place to sell their items on their own. And I'm sure these same ppl will whine that its "too much work." Well fuck you - if you don't want your shit stolen and you don't want to do it as a Trader, learn to use those boards.
Your mind hears Vaeyrin thinking, "Thank you again for the gweths, Jaelia. If you ever need me to bully someone or take an ugly friend on a date, you've got it."
fromwork
Smelly Cat High Level Cawk

Character Name: Jaelia

Postby poppyseed cake on Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Here's the final list of what's available to be auctioned. Obviously we're not gonna get through all this stuff -- some of it's crap anyway, but I think there's a lot of nice things too.

http://d.cl1p.net/finalauctionlist/

I'm going to try and seperate out the best stuff from the mess and put it all in it's own backpack so I'm not shuffling around three characters and a mess of containers trying to find the next item. PLEASE suggest things you want to bid on yourself or that you think will sell well. Some of this stuff was stolen and some of it wasn't.

Some things I know I'm going to include because they're nice or unusual:

-- the gowns with looks. I dunno shit about gowns but they seem like they'd get the ladies interest. All of these were Kystrala's just FYIl, but I probably won't be announcing who owned what at the auction.

-- the corset the original Seb had made (just for you Ahnoui)

-- 20-some basilisk head arrows, a couple of slurbows, a cambrinth LX, a capped short bow

-- bardic leathers, I believe these were requested

-- a set of rakash tailored leathers and a set of rakash tailored light chain

-- a moon mage spellbook and case (I have a ranger one too but I need to confirm it's an actual book that teaches scholarship and lists spells)

-- one of those roar protection cloaks (<3 Chek)

-- the mesh backpack woven with steelsilk, per request

I know I'm forgetting some things. Anyway, please make some suggestions keeping in mind that I want the auction to cater to everyone so we can all feel snuggly for helping children.
[14:49] AD76Greg: oh well excuse me I didnt know you were the fucking king of dragonrealms
poppyseed cake
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Sebastienne

Postby Alissia on Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:05 pm

This is some stupid shit.

Im more of a lurker than a poster but this all seems sort of brainless. Any time you drop something consider it gone. Guarding is not a guarantee, any dumbass knows that. Hell you could GIVE it to someone and you still stand a chance of it disappearing. I know this because after giving a full pack of fest armor, altered clothes/jewlery to a character on a second account the game crashed and I lost everything. I got to pick 5 items I wanted back, thats all.

2 months ago I had a vault sale going, dropped a pack full of altered and fest clothing while swapping shit out. Thought I dropped another pack, but didnt. Gone. Shit.. get over it. If you dropped it, its your own dumbass fault.

Its a game. Much like life when you do stupid shit you have bad things happen. I always thought stupidity should be painful. Like someone does something stupid and they would fall on the ground clutching their head in agony. This way we could tell which people were stupid and just step over them.
(8:36:12 PM): Xibar slowly rises above the horizon.<----------------is that a script check?
********************************************************************************************************
You see your private home. You also see your furniture.
Obvious exits: none
Alissia
Smelly Cat Kitten

rafd

Postby Jason on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:01 pm

I lost thousands and thousands of plats worth of stuff once. My biggest concern was how I was going to train without a weapon with no way to get to Crossing to buy another.

You're character is what is most important. That can only be taken from you if you let it.

I'm slightly shocked by how big a fuss some have made over some of these items.
A swirling vortex of shadows draws itself from the ground and coalesces into a black Moongate, which yawns open like a hungry maw.

Aaoskar jumps back from a black Moongate!
>
(Aaoskar squares up with the moongate, closes his eyes, and takes a running dive through the moongate! Disappearing through the swirling vortex as he screams in terror.)
>
Peon Aaoskar's group went through a black Moongate

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142 ... sheet2.jpg
Jason
Slutty Intern Jhime

Character Name: Jhime

Postby Zurion on Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:55 pm

Well, that went about as well as could be expected.
Simutronics' design motto is "More Fun. Less Tedium."

Korutu says, "Not in my town, I do the crime around here."
Zurion
Smelly Cat Immortal

Postby Avrii on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Zurion wrote:Well, that went about as well as could be expected.

someone care to expand on this? was there reports? text bloodshed? did people cry?

MY INNER GRIEFER IS DEMANDING INFO
tremulous wrote:Life's one big game of mafia to Sara.

<Overlord_45> look i can pay enough attention to the characters to recognize that it's really fucking funny for certain characters to take the actions that they've chosen to take in this game and also want to replace my eyes with my testicles to see if the Nadugan will awaken the power to truly purge my memory of ever watching this
Avrii
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Ryxa

Postby Reene on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:54 pm

There's another thread on it.

In other news I'm enjoying using this auction to troll the text-masses.

Your mind hears Jilette thinking, "So how'd the auction go last night, anyone know?"
You hear your mental voice echo, It didn't.
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "was it another stolen goods to benefit the orphans auction...or a regular one?"
Your mind hears Jilette thinking, "What happened? I was, unfortunatately, asleep and missed everything."
Your mind hears Erinenne thinking, "Sebastinenne and Marty got tossed in jail before any items were sold. Marty was released last night, but Seb is going to be in there for a week they said."
Your mind hears Myeka thinking, "Were the items seized by the state as well?"
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "oh really? i thought anyone with pull cared not"
Your mind hears Erinenne thinking, "no idea, but given they were in Sebastinenne's possession, I imagine they were."
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "it's too bad, what is this world coming to when one can't sell stolen goods for the betterment of society?"
You hear your mental voice echo, Indeed. After all, the vast majority of us do it on a daily basis.
Your mind hears Markhor thinking, "Speak for yourself."
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "er, my gweth was dripping with sarcasm..."
Your mind hears Erinenne thinking, "No kidding, now those items will be sold possiblity for personal gain by their original owners and not benifit the orphanage at all."
You hear your mental voice echo, Ah, so you do not loot the bodies of those you slay en masse and profit from their possessions? You seem quite proud of handling the lockboxes they keep their precious possessions safe in, Markhor.
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "one cannot posses when one is dead"
You hear your mental voice echo, So at the very least you are an accessory in theft, even if you do not loot bodies yourself.
You hear your mental voice echo, I shall keep that in mind, Wooderson, if I ever see you dead.
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "ah Caelumia, like I expect any different from you"
Your mind hears Markhor thinking, "I do not kill people."
You hear your mental voice echo, You have never hunted ogres, or gypsy marauders, or swain on Ratha?
Your mind hears Markhor thinking, "You consider ogres people?"
Your mind hears Erinenne thinking, "I think she means the hordes of field goblins and young ogres that get slain daily"
You hear your mental voice echo, I consider them a sapient species with a certain level of intelligence roughly comparable to your own.
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "go back to killing people for talking about sorcery scrolls while secretly stashing them yourself"
You hear your mental voice echo, I would be careful with the false allegations, Wooderson.
Your mind hears Markhor thinking, "(snort) Comparable? Highly unlikely. And nearly all of the boxes I open belong to others."
Your mind hears Faehlan thinking, "gods.. i think im a bit more intelligent than an ogre.. but thats just my opinion"
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "why would that gweth concern you Caelumia?"
You hear your mental voice echo, You are an accessory in theft then, Markhor. Rather comparable to Martyka, really.
Your mind hears Faehlan thinking, "here we go, judgement passed by people using nothing but opinion and ignorance.. now ive seen it all"
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "disjointed and vague"
You hear your mental voice echo, Yes, we saw quite a lot of it at the auction. Really, moral or ethical judgments always come down to nothing more than an opinion. But I hope you remember my argument the next time you go looting the corpses of sapient species en masse.
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "I often read my passages of Salient Thoughts by Caelumia...it keeps me warm on winter's nights"
Your mind hears Faehlan thinking, "Caelumia, the level of your naivete' is only exceeded by the lunacy of your statements"
You hear your mental voice echo, That would be a marvelous way of making yourself feel better for slaying dozens or even hundreds of creatures capable of relatively intelligent thought and possessing gods-given sentience. I mean, you behave as though we all haven't hunted goblins before.
You hear your mental voice echo, And, of course, merrily pillaged and looted their corpses for our own selfish personal gain. It's marvelous really.
Your mind hears Thalamarr thinking, "never heard anyone defend the goblins before"
Your mind hears Jilette thinking, "I think it is, we should all do it more often...everyone go do it now and then bring me the boxes."
You hear your mental voice echo, Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you not to do it. I just think claiming some kind of moral high ground in light of the facts is a little...disingenuous.
Your mind hears Cyiarriah thinking, "You would know"
Your mind hears Faehlan thinking, "who gave Cael the samatak?"
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "I know, the level of hypocrisy is is astounding. "
Your mind hears Edgee thinking, "You know, I rarely find myself along the same lines of thought as Cael, however I've had things stolen from me and 99.99999% of the time it was of my own stupidity."
Your mind hears Markhor thinking, "That doesn't make it right."
Your mind hears Edgee thinking, "And if someone was wiley enough to get around me with enough maneuvering to sell what they stole... I'd suck it up and handle it myself or consider it a lesson learned."
You hear your mental voice echo, Where is the hypocrisy, precisely? It is more hypocritical to declare yourself more morally pure than one who is at least honest about their theft. Again, I'm not telling you not to do it, you should just be honest with yourself when you do.
Your mind hears Wooderson thinking, "I just think when the preacher is one of the largest sinners...well the message can't be taken seriously."
You hear your mental voice echo, I for one openly embrace the lifestyle of mass genocide and pillaging of the corpses left behind.
You hear your mental voice echo, But at least I'm honest about it, neh?

Note to self: shouldn't try to argue with big words when I just got up ten minutes ago.

Reene
Smelly Cat Immortal

Postby Destron on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:15 pm

You hear your mental voice echo, But at least I'm honest about it, neh?

did you just make up an utterance?
>Kiorlien asks, "Are ye a Paladin sir Vasilim?"
>Vasilim says, "depends on how many drinks"

"Player Versus Player is frowned upon in DragonRealms.
Only courteous players survive here!"
Destron
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Rudius

Postby Reene on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:26 pm

I've heard 'neh' from a lot of people over the years if that's what you mean.

Reene
Smelly Cat Immortal

Postby Olesh on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:15 pm

Reene wrote:I've heard 'neh' from a lot of people over the years if that's what you mean.

I've heard it originating from psychotic otaku who think that inserting japanese words and into english speech makes them cool. (Ending a sentence with "ne" is basically the equivalent of in speech, adding a ", yeah?" or ", right?" as in "We're going down to the club tonight, right?") This particular one isn't as annoying as the people who refer to others as "Bob-san" or "John-kun" while speaking english.

I've also heard it from other people who have no connection to the above, though, so anyone's guess on where someone is using it.
John: " A toast... to the woman who made Smelly-Cat possible.... Lionchesthair."

<Navak> Olesh, let me blow you

[02:02] Navak: He doesn't talk about his penis at all Arika.
[02:03] Navak: you're safe

SEND[Abasha] The coin had it coming, I'm sure.
Olesh
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Hikuro

PreviousNext

Return to Hall of Fame