Auctioning a lot of stolen goods.

Special Library of Legendary Threads

Postby Navak on Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:20 pm

Yeah, I'm never quite sure how people are able to square away the hunting and killing creatures versus players.

At least Navak is honest about how he doesn't care about those not of X race or species.
[07/10/2008 00:46:14] <QuesloWork> to many civil liberties is what got us attacked in the fist place thanks bill

That said, Simu has always been like this, anyone that has played any of their games for an extended period of time knows they're tight-lipped. You'd also know that they deliver what they say they're going to and it's of the highest quality when it's done. - Some idiot on MMORPG
Navak
Smelly Cat Immortal

Postby Reene on Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:48 pm

Navak wrote:Yeah, I'm never quite sure how people are able to square away the hunting and killing creatures versus players.

At least Navak is honest about how he doesn't care about those not of X race or species.

The simple and obvious answer is that they are taking the mechanical distinction between their happy little chunks of XP and source of phat lewtz and actual player characters and carrying that distinction into the roleplaying environment without actually thinking about what they're doing.

I have yet to hear someone even attempt to justify the division ICly. It's not even that it would be terribly hard to do, I think people are just stupid and don't understand what I'm arguing.
* kystrk has joined #isleeptoomuch
<incarna> ladies only allow cocks in their asses, apparently
<kystrk> hell of a way to walk into the convo

<Meragin> dudes typically my foreskin is in the mouth not being stretch and played like a fucking kazoo
<Phii> lol typically nigga please
<Phii> You're here playing DR.
<Asrion> hes really flexible, ok?
Reene
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Caelumia

Postby poppyseed cake on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:54 pm

Reene wrote:
Navak wrote:Yeah, I'm never quite sure how people are able to square away the hunting and killing creatures versus players.

The simple and obvious answer is that they are taking the mechanical distinction between their happy little chunks of XP and source of phat lewtz and actual player characters and carrying that distinction into the roleplaying environment without actually thinking about what they're doing.

I have yet to hear someone even attempt to justify the division ICly. It's not even that it would be terribly hard to do, I think people are just stupid and don't understand what I'm arguing.

The real problem is that the way experienced is gained in DR is totally unsuitable to roletarding. There's no way anyone would really go out there and let five field goblins/musk hogs surround them and just block and parry and dodge for hours. What would really happen is we'd be out in the wilds for whatever reason and we get jumped by a goblin raiding party or something like that. Which isn't training so much as survival. Training would be done in our guilds, for the most part.

Even if that was how it happened, it'd get lame fast. Oh I'm going out the west gate again, I'll bet I get jumped by ANOTHER goblin raiding party. The repetition of skill gain makes it impossible to really bring training IC if you go into the details.

I get around having to justify it because I'm either A) an evil bitch B) a guy who poops on people or C) a moonmage who can't even kill a rat (40th circle with 0 TM and evasion lol)
[14:49] AD76Greg: oh well excuse me I didnt know you were the fucking king of dragonrealms
poppyseed cake
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Sebastienne

Postby Reene on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:36 pm

incarna wrote:
Reene wrote:

The real problem is that the way experienced is gained in DR is totally unsuitable to roletarding. There's no way anyone would really go out there and let five field goblins/musk hogs surround them and just block and parry and dodge for hours. What would really happen is we'd be out in the wilds for whatever reason and we get jumped by a goblin raiding party or something like that. Which isn't training so much as survival. Training would be done in our guilds, for the most part.

Even if that was how it happened, it'd get lame fast. Oh I'm going out the west gate again, I'll bet I get jumped by ANOTHER goblin raiding party. The repetition of skill gain makes it impossible to really bring training IC if you go into the details.

I get around having to justify it because I'm either A) an evil bitch B) a guy who poops on people or C) a moonmage who can't even kill a rat (40th circle with 0 TM and evasion lol)

There are people that make a point of hunting "beast" type creatures such as wolves and leucros because they supposedly teach defenses better. This is slightly more justifiable from the perspective of your average Joe than going out and slaughtering either a bunch of sentient, intelligent creatures that have demonstrated a capability for speech and reasoning (such as goblins, ogres, or orcs) or slaughtering a bunch of your fellow X, where X is Humans, Elves, Dwarves, etc.

You could also go the unholy abomination/cursed creature route which would not only be reasonable but "correct" from a moral and ethical standpoint, but there are some considerable training gaps that aren't quite filled in there yet.
* kystrk has joined #isleeptoomuch
<incarna> ladies only allow cocks in their asses, apparently
<kystrk> hell of a way to walk into the convo

<Meragin> dudes typically my foreskin is in the mouth not being stretch and played like a fucking kazoo
<Phii> lol typically nigga please
<Phii> You're here playing DR.
<Asrion> hes really flexible, ok?
Reene
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Caelumia

Postby Dragamar on Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:03 am

incarna wrote:
Reene wrote:

There is a bit of Ranger lore that goes something like "When civilization began to gather in cities, Rangers choose to stay in the wilds to keep the creatures from becoming to abundant and overrunning the cities." Its either in the inititaion talk, in a book, or the guildleaders will tell you if you ask them the right question. Anyway, my ranger followed this belief pretty religously until he didn't give a shit about "civilization" anymore.
ImageImage
Dragamar
Smelly Cat High Level Cawk

Previous

Return to Hall of Fame